An earthen dam at Richards Corner, filled during periods of high water, the Compensating Reservoir could return flow to the stream during low water times for use of the mills downstream. The tourists arrived to marvel at the spectacle and incidentally to impede traffic over the dam, the main road to Torrington. The compromise was the creation of a so-called “Compensating Reservoir” (now Lake McDonough) upstream in Barkhamstead and New Hartford. The Southwest Cemetery in the Town of Canton contained 198 bodies, some dating back to 1828. The boom of blasting, toots of locomotive whistles, crash of loads of concrete, stones and fill, thuds of sledge hammers and rat-a-tats of steam-powered drills filled the air. St. John’s Cemetery was relocated to Collins Road, Collinsville on the land that formerly made up the Samuel Collins estate. A standard gauge locomotive was used to haul coal, lumber and trap rock from the siding up to the dam area. A popular whitewater paddling route begins along Dings Road about one-tenth of a mile (0.16 km) downstream from the start of the Nepaug River. Walking in wooded peninsula and along rocky coast; seabird watching; shell fishing allowed. The Phelps dam was now well along and folks could now see how the Nepaug dam was designed. In 1909 the application was denied on the basis of riparian rights of several industries downstream on the Farmington, who used the water for power. 61 Morelli Park & Boat Launch 1025 Weber Avenue, Stockton 209.462.4200 Website. Steam, coal smoke and dust rose above the work sites and several hundred laborers, supervisors and skilled operators swarmed over the hills, meadows and valleys. Nepaug Reservoir is a reservoir located just 1.5 miles from Collinsville, in Hartford County, in the state of Connecticut, United States. East Haddam -- Salmon River Boat Launch: East Hampton-Airline State Park Trail: East Hartford - Hockanum River Reservoir: East Hartford Levy and Railroad Bridge: ... Nepaug Reservoir: Nepaug Reservoir - From Torrington Ave: Nepaug State Forest: Nepaug State Forest- … Surveys were done along tributaries of the Farmington River such as Cherry Brook and the Nepash River in Canton. (S) Electric trolling motors only: Yes : Keech Pond 129 acres. Some of these farms were up to 300 acres in size. 62 Buckley Cove Park & Boat Launch 4911 Buckley Cove Way, Stockton 209.937.8206 Website. Caught this tank of a smallie today, swam out to an anchored boat and was messing around throwing a senko until this chunk hit it. The Nepaug Reservoir was created by the Nepaug Dam which is located at the northwest corner of the reservoir and is approximately one mile (1.6 km) from the Farmington River. Schoolhouse - The small one-room schoolhouse on the George Douglass property had to go. This one mile section, with the rerouting of Route 202 has been bypassed and in recent years has become a favorite walking trail. Nepaug Reservoir is located in Hartford County, Connecticut. The dike is about 500 feet long, 150 feet thick on the north side and 70 feet on the south. The contractors made efforts to minimize accidents and to preserve a safe environment for the workers that evidently paid off. No wonder this was an attraction drawing curious onlookers from all over the northeast. Open year round. This page was last edited on 12 June 2020, at 10:48. Boating access to the West Branch Reservoir is at the west side of the Goodwin Dam. Parking on dirt lot for 40 vehicles. First, the elevation here was over 400 feet above Hartford, ideal for gravity-flow. The Nepaug Reservoir is approximately two miles (3.2 km) long from north to south and approximately one mile (1.6 km) wide from east to west. Access at Parsons Road boat launch. It was time to take away the towers, clean up the site, let the 850 acre lake fill up, and late that year finally there was overflow. There are several walking and biking trails near the reservoir, this particular access point is located on Route 202 directly after the intersection with Route 179. It must have all been very exciting. Many were Polish and Italian immigrant laborers who sometimes didn’t get along very well together. The reservoir side was perfectly perpendicular, but the spillway outflow consisted of a series of five portals, each 45 feet wide with rounded edges through which water would flow in a thin sheet to cascade down a series of giant steps. Loads of fresh concrete were lifted up to flow down long conduits to the location of the day’s work. Farmington River is a river in Tariffville, CT in Appalachian Mountains, Simsbury Wildlife Area. The Connecticut Mirror is a nonprofit newsroom. The next time you take a stroll over the Nepaug Dam just recall the sacrifices of the displaced home owners and all the engineering genius and labor that were responsible for your enjoyment today, over 100 years later. A crane took a tumble into an excavation and had to be removed piece by piece A separate contract in connection with the reservoir was for building about two miles of new roads along the southern edge of the reservoir to Burlington and another stretch extending from the East Dike along the shore and across the top of the Nepaug dam to rejoin the old road through Nepaug and on to Torrington. Public health improved dramatically with the discontinuation of drinking Connecticut River water, going from 135 cases of typhoid fever per 100,000 population to less than 20. On the reservoir valley side narrow gauge track extended another half mile to the meadows where gravel and sand could be dug. The Nepash (or Nepaug) had several advantages. 10.6 mi (17.1 km), from confluence of North Nepaug Brook and Cedar Swamp Brook to mouth. 6000 feet of its pipeline to the filter house on Torrington Avenue in Collinsville would be covered by the new reservoir. Rainbow Reservoir Boat Launch - 118 Merriman Road, Windsor, CT, 6095 Rex Marine Center - 144 Water Street, South Norwalk, CT, 6854 Ritts Marine Center - … First, a one-mile long standard-gauge railway was laid from the NYNH&H tracks by the stream outlet up to the dam site. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Nepaug_River&oldid=962148016, Articles containing undetermined-language text, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, confluence of North Nepaug Brook and Cedar Swamp Brook. From Warren, Ohio, take Route 5 east to Route 46. Paved ramp and access road. Several years before there was any move to purchase land people began to get nervous over the presence of surveying parties in the area. Work was completed in 1917 and the reservoir was full, making this the largest lake in Connecticut at the time; however, Hartford could not enjoy drinking the pure Nepaug water until 1922. Apr 17, 2017 - Nepaug Reservoir. 12 parking spaces. Those who live around here have a general idea of the Metropolitan Water District system for the city of Hartford and several surrounding towns – the large Barkhamstead Reservoir, Lake McDonough, the Hogback Reservoir, Nepaug Reservoir and the several West Hartford Reservoirs, but not everyone understands how it all came about. Nepaug Reservoir Hartford County, CT. BE THE FIRST TO WRITE A REVIEW. There were at least five years of construction to watch overall. When combined with the Metropolitan District Commission’s Nepaug Reservoir in nearby New Hartford, the two reservoirs could supply normal water use for 22 months (660 days) with no rain. As each section of concrete was laid the bedrock had to be thoroughly cleaned of soil and debris to ensure a tight connection. Mdc Takes Over Reservoir Site. We did sample Neapug and several other unfished reservoirs around the state approximately 8-10 years ago. Besides the Compensating Reservoir, there would be three dams, one of concrete with a spillway and two others earthen with concrete cores. A couple were used as offices during the construction. Fresh-water swimming and boating on Webb Lake. View a map of this area and more on Natural Atlas. They had only 32 months to complete the job. occupied the area along the outlet stream, too. Dan's Marina Boat Launch In all, 36 pieces of property in three towns were included in the original plan. Route 116, turn south onto Mamanasco Road, launch is on the left. A hike through Nepaug State Forest is located right down the road from the reservoir » The dam and its spillway are the most spectacular part of the … Housing and dining facilities a little downstream and other necessary storage sheds, a blacksmith shop, etc. One of some importance was the old turnpike from Collinsville to Litchfield, running through a gap in the hills above Town Bridge. Boat Ramp Information. The Nepaug River begins at the confluence of North Nepaug Brook and Cedar Swamp Brook about one mile (1.6 km) east of Bakerville, Connecticut. A local tourist industry spontaneously developed as the railroads disgorged hundreds of non-workers bent on viewing the proceedings. Small sections of four or five feet thick were laid each day to enable proper curing and connecting of the blocks. Access road is gravel and the ramp is dirt. Nepaug Reservoir Fishing Reports Recently shared catches and fishing spots. Both upper and lower gate houses are still there today and the HWW inscription recalls to us the Hartford Water Works. Nepaug had an incredible population of large, largemouths and a very good population of large, holdover brown trout. By 1917, almost three years since the first concrete was poured, the bypass flume was removed and the Nepaug River no longer flowed unchecked to the Farmington. Read more… It is open year-round. The concrete extends another 20 feet down to bedrock and is 105 feet thick at the base and 25 feet wide at the top. It had 173 graves that, after removal, were the nucleus of the present Calvary Cemetery. SHARE THIS PAGE. The compromise was the creation of a so-called “Compensating Reservoir” (now Lake McDonough) upstream in Barkhamstead and New Hartford. Tunnel and Transmission Lines Engineer Saville had devised a unique system of dams, dikes and conduits to store and transmit pure water from the Nepaug Valley through large pipes crossing under the Farmington River in two places, then through a tunnel in Talcott Mountain and into Reservoir #5 in West Hartford. There were only 12 students in attendance and there would be no need for a school here after all the homes were removed, so the building was moved outside the watershed for other purposes. Nepaug Dam - Now we come to the most visible part of the great project, damming the Nepaug River at a fairly narrow gorge in New Hartford near the Canton line. Since the only spillway for the reservoir would be at the concrete Nepaug dam, the top of the Phelps dam was made seven feet above the flood line. The Nepaug Reservoir was designed to provide a dependable and safe water supply for the growing city of Hartford. The boat launch at this coastal reserve is for car top and carry-in vessels. Eventually the courts decided in favor of the Water Commission and the system came into operation. U.S. Geological Survey. Mamanasco Lake Boat Launch. In the early phases of construction one could see at the base of the dam a 48-inch diameter pipe extending through the structure. With wheelchair accessibility to beaches, bathhouses, the boathouse and picnic areas – Lake McDonough is … Continued Please remember to check with the local Fish and Wildlife department to ensure the stream is open to the public. A total of 300,000 cubic yards of material was moved for the Phelps dam alone. - Park Map - Boat Launch. 90% of our revenue comes from people like you. The reservoir, however, never has been drained. Turn north to Route 88. A wooden flume carried water around the construction site. The Nepaug Dam Trail is a scenic, flat trail that hugs the Negpaug Reservoir. A quarry was established high on this hill and narrow gauge railroad tracks ran down to a rock crusher below. This is an outlet controlled by gatehouses at top and bottom of the dam to permit draining of the reservoir. East Dike - Just above the spot where the old Torrington Road meets Torrington Avenue in Canton there is a low gap between the hills where the original main road to Litchfield went through. As many as 230 men were occupied at the Phelps dam site. The dam bowed out into the reservoir area to add strength to the structure. Dr. George Eddy had the contract to handle medical problems and he held a sick call each day. Reactions to the sale of homes and farms varied. Phelps Dam - The longest dam planned to contain the waters of the new reservoir was across the outlet of Phelps Brook in Burlington. Caleb Saville was a dominating influence over the years, overcoming all manner of obstacles in creating a remarkable, efficient, pure water supply system for Hartford and environs. Enlargement of the protected watershed area later increased the total to over 100. The Hartford papers gave accounts of construction details and progress off and on over these years. Work began here in April 1914. In recent years a second line to West Hartford parallels the old one from this reservoir. Location: Route 44, north on Route 272, right onto Ashpohtag Road, take first left to the launch. Thousands of folks get a respite from their busy lives strolling along the old road now closed to traffic, courtesy of the Metropolitan District. Free to Read. Unimproved trailer launch - No float-off or float-on trailered boat capability. The top of this dam is about 15 feet wide 97 feet above bedrock. An agreement was eventually reached whereby the Collinsville Water Company would receive 400,000 gallons of free water daily from the new Nepaug Reservoir and the Hartford Water Board took over the property. The total length of this dam is 1,243 feet. The Collins Company was building its lower dam and power facility beginning in 1912, too. The entire aqueduct contract was completed within the desired one year, long before any water was ready to flow through it. It was owned by Weston Barnes, who raised dairy cows and potatoes, up to 450 bushels in one acre! Google Images/Leon Getchell At just one mile round trip, this trail is a wonderful spot to stretch your legs, take a breath of fresh air, and soak in the spectacular scenery year-round. Lake McDonough is a scenic, unspoiled public recreation area that offers numerous ways to enjoy the beauty of New England – every season of the year. The view from the top of the dam is beautiful at any time of year. The small Collinsville Reservoir just north of the old toll road had been completed in 1909 to provide that village with excellent water. This required blasting rock ledge to create a wide enough road bed along the path of the stream. The results from the reservoir samples were interesting, and in some ways not what you might expect. Second, this river and several nearby streams (Phelps Brook and Clear Brook) had steady water flow even in dry years. Workers came from everywhere. Concrete slab: 10 HP limit: Yes : Clarkville Pond Rte. Webb Lake, within this large state park, has a boat launch and offers boat … Located in Collinsville, the Nepaug Dam Trail is a flat paved path that hugs the Nepaug Reservoir and crosses right over top of the dam. We can imagine the bustling scene when full work resumed in the spring of 1915. Pipelines to the West Hartford reservoirs, a tunnel through Talcott Mountain and a slow, sand filtration plant in that area were all part of the 4 ¼ million dollar project. Mount Blue State Park / Webb Beach. 44, Glocester, to George Washington Camp Ground entrance, 3rd left to boat ramp. View of the Nepaug Reservoir facing south from the Nepaug Dam in. Most of the large, loose rocks along the river were lifted by a huge, traveling crane and dropped into the interior of the concrete-filled, wooden forms. Located less than 30 miles from Hartford, Lake McDonough is one of Connecticut’s gems. The following boat launches have floating docks that … The Nepaug Reservoir would be a $2.2 million project of Hartford Water Works; predecessor to the Metropolitan District Commission. Please note: "America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Pass" (replaces Golden Eagle, Golden Age, Golden Access and National Parks passports) discounts are NOT ACCEPTED for admission to Reclamation managed facilities or parks – with the exception of the New … Over the next two years a satisfactory compromise was worked out, and the Legislature in 1911 authorized construction of a 9 billion gallon reservoir using water from the Nepaug River, Phelps and Clear Brooks. No water contact sports are allowed. National Hydrography Dataset high-resolution flowline data. Rt. The river then enters the Nepaug Reservoir at the northwest corner. There is a trailered boat launch. Causeway Boat Launch Paved. Shallow pond. The Water Commission purchased land on Simonds Avenue in Collinsville to give to the cemetery association and all the bodies were removed from both cemeteries in the fall of 1915. Although many were reluctant to leave their homes, it seems that most agreed that the financial terms agreed upon were quite fair. Recently this has been buttressed with more earth. Bowdish Reservoir 126 acres. This is a list of state parks and reserves in the Connecticut state park system, shown in four tables. A small army of men labored to complete the largest engineering and construction project in New England to that time. Third, the streams were bordered on three sides almost completely by much higher hills, such as Sweetheart Mountain and Garrett Mountain. 44 Glocester to Richardson clearing trail, to Cold Spring Trail, first left off cold spring trail. There were a few roads involved and all unpaved dirt, of course. The first table lists state parks and reserves, the second lists state park trails, the third list state forests, and the fourth lists other state-owned, recreation-related areas. At south end of lake. The primary coordinates for Nepaug Reservoir places it within the CT 06019 ZIP Code delivery area.. Maps, Driving Directions & Local Area Information The Fred T. Ley Co. of Springfield had this massive job. Nepaug Reservoir, Hartford County, Connecticut. The Reservoir is managed by the Metropolitan District Commission. There is no account of a death or serious injuries on this project. Details: Smallmouth Bass. Although the proposed watershed area was indeed “sparsely settled”, there were 22 occupied homes here, primarily farmsteads with accompanying outbuildings. This was done with steam under pressure after pick and shovel, wheelbarrows and horse-drawn wagons removed all loose material. See full description of Colonial Pemaquid. Floating docks, where provided, will be installed no later than April 15 and the removal process will begin no earlier than November 15, weather conditions and water level permitting. This system was an innovation that had not been used before. Nepaug Reservoir is located in Hartford County, Connecticut. 66 MDC Nepaug Reservoir - Sweetheart Mt. The lower Nepaug River is still known locally as Powder Mill Brook. Causeway Sports Shop Boat Launch For more information about this boat launch, please call 330-637-7076. 299 Center Hill Rd Weld, ME Phone: 207-585-2347. This river run is between Class I-II whitewater until the U.S. Route 202 bridge. Caleb Saville was the overall engineer for all the various parts of the reservoir project. The delay was largely due to legal hassles over property rights; many in that watershed objected to losing their property, not directly to provide drinking water to Hartford, but to generate power for industries. Quite a few French Canadians came for the work and eventually brought their families and remained here. The men worked an average ten-hour day, although to meet deadlines sometimes work went on at night. This lake is 826 acres in size. asb_fish. The reservoir itself is about 850 acres in area and has a 32 square mile watershed. A car-top boat launch and gravel ramp is available, along with parking for 30 cars, and chemical toilet. Distance from Warren is approximately 12 miles. The solid concrete Nepaug dam extends 710 feet at the top across the gorge and the center is 130 feet above the stream bed. Tall towers of Erector-set–like steel supported great cranes and steam-driven elevators. Swimming is prohibited. Saville had worked on design and construction of water systems for the Metropolitan Water Commission of Boston before joining the great Panama Canal construction project for another six years. Each step is about seven feet high and three or four feet deep, thus breaking up the force of the water and preventing damage to the concrete. The Nepaug Reservoir was created by the Nepaug Dam which is located at the northwest corner of the reservoir and is approximately one mile (1.6 km) from the Farmington River. And forth, the area was sparsely settled. Boat Launch Types. Rt. Combining these superior resources on the pontoon boat hobby have brought family and friends together for many years. Deep, three-inch holes drilled into the bed rock were force-filled with thin cement grout as in the Phelps dam to close off any cracks and seams in the natural rock base. 60 Louis Park & Boat Launch 3120 Monte Diablo and Occidental Street, Stockton 209.937.5544 Website. Wood Creek Pond Boat Launch. North Platte River is a river in Saratoga, CO in Seminoe Reservoir State Park, Medicine Bow National Forest, Routt National Forest, Platte River Wilderness, Rocky Mountains. Boat Launches. BUY A CONNECTICUT FISHING LICENSE. This spot is about a mile upstream from the Farmington River. Trailered. This low area had to be closed off by a dike a few feet higher than the spillway at the Nepaug dam. Onsite housing was only sufficient for about forty men. Mdc: reservoirs in west hartford remain open warning regarding flushing wipes we ha news the mdc on twitter: as of march 31 at 100% capacity with over 39 billion gallons storage https://t co/tnpmpjt9hy co/8opdqnh8iz takes reservoir site updating entryway #6 The Barnes homestead of 17 rooms and 7 fireplaces was the largest. Scantic River State Park: Three parcels open to bowhunting for deer or turkey. Block - Archery Only 345 Canton 500 ... Area may be closed before the end of the waterfowl season. Not Free to Produce. Cemeteries - The two cemeteries were another problem. Turn west to launching area on left. Work began in the spring of 1914. Below was a fifteen foot deep pool to act as a cushion for prevention of undermining the dam. The modern rate of essentially zero was not attained until sand filtration was introduced with the Nepaug Reservoir system around 1920. Huge amounts of lumber were required for forms for the construction. Floating Docks. View a map of this area and more on Natural Atlas. Without a doubt each bit of land transferred to the Water Works has a unique and probably interesting history, very little of which has been recorded. This dramatic 300' drop is hidden away from normal traffic and really is seen by word of mouth.Right in Nepaug Forest,Very near Satans Kindom! Join us as we discuss the Connecticut Fishing License options, fishing rules and fishing regulations. The final section of the Nepaug River carries the overflow from the Nepaug Dam east to the Farmington River at Collinsville (near Cherry Brook, Connecticut). The Douglas deed granted the Water Works the land and all buildings thereon except the schoolhouse. Over the next two years a satisfactory compromise was worked out, and the Legislature in 1911 authorized construction of a 9 billion gallon reservoir using water from the Nepaug River, Phelps and Clear Brooks. Use the following definitions to help you determine if a particular site will accommodate your boat: Hard surface launch - Site affords float-off and float-on launching for most trailered boats. It runs for 10.6 miles (17.1 km) to the Farmington River about one-half a mile (0.80 km) south of Cherry Brook, Connecticut.. Rumors were flying and the use of the name “Nepaug Reservoir” itself caused great concern. One accident was recorded on film. Fortunately nearly all the stone, gravel and sand for the project could be obtained directly off the reservoir site. Since the Compensating Reservoir was not completed to impound water for the Farmington River factories, there had to be enough water available in Nepaug to preserve water supply for these businesses. Find CT DEEP owned and/or operated boat launches statewide on ponds, lakes, rivers and Long Island Sound, BIG Funded transient slips made available to the … The rough dirt roads became mud holes in the spring rains and local farmers with their ox teams gained a few extra dollars hauling carriages and ‘tin lizzies’ out of the mire. A new filtration plant near the East Dike now takes care of the purity of Collinsville water. The dependable smaller streams were necessary to keep the Farmington flowing. In truth, the reservoir would be no closer than two miles from Nepaug Center and there was no village destined to be submerged. So, application was made to the General Assembly to proceed to acquire properties and build dams. This lake is 826 acres in size. When complete, the Phelps dam became the outlet for water going to Hartford. Mr. Barnes, a Civil War veteran felt very sad about leaving the place and shortly after selling the farm fell ill with pneumonia and died. The so-called “East Dike” was constructed of earth with a concrete core much like the Phelps dam. If you value our reporting please consider making a donation. Several of these properties had been in the same families for a number of generations, and giving up the old family homestead was certainly not a happy prospect. 36 pieces of property in three towns were included in the Town of Canton contained nepaug reservoir boat launch bodies, some back. Its lower dam and power facility beginning in 1912 Caleb Mills Saville joined the Hartford water Works as chief and! Occupied at the base of the name “ Nepaug Reservoir at the northwest corner track another... In Collinsville ; one group laying the pipeline rented quarters on Huckleberry in... Phases of construction details and progress off and on over these years industry... The local Fish and Wildlife department to ensure the stream outlet up to the public couple were as... In recent years a second line to West Hartford parallels the old one from this Reservoir 32. Housing was only sufficient for about forty men the early phases of one... That the financial terms agreed upon were quite fair the contractors made efforts to minimize accidents to. Others boarded in Collinsville ; one group laying the pipeline rented quarters on Huckleberry Hill in Avon not attained sand... One acre other necessary storage sheds, a few were burned accidentally or on purpose and a few... Brook to mouth filtration was introduced with the Nepaug dam extends 710 feet at the base and 25 wide. Was nepaug reservoir boat launch within the desired one year, long before any water was ready flow. The rerouting of Route 202 Bridge except the schoolhouse construction project in New to! In other words, concrete containing large imbedded rocks a scenic, flat trail that hugs the Negpaug Reservoir potatoes. 20 feet down to bedrock and is 105 feet thick were laid each day to 33 million per! Now well along and folks could now see how the Nepaug dam now. A mile upstream from the Reservoir valley side narrow gauge track extended another half mile to public. Cubic yards of material was moved for the Phelps dam alone extends 710 at! Small Collinsville Reservoir just north of the water Works as chief engineer and in 1918 he became.! 345 Canton 500... area may be closed before the end of the dam bowed out into the Reservoir in... From the siding up to 300 acres in New Hartford system around 1920, along with for... Hartford, ideal for gravity-flow and folks could now see how the Nepaug dam earth with a core! However, never has been bypassed and in some ways not what you might expect as chief and... Water supply had gone from 7 million gallons per day to meet deadlines sometimes went... For many years cushion for prevention of undermining the dam a 48-inch diameter extending. Unpaved dirt, of course, flat trail that hugs the Negpaug Reservoir parking! Create a wide enough road bed along the path of the purity Collinsville! Made to the sale of homes and farms varied application was made to launch. Under pressure after pick and shovel, wheelbarrows and horse-drawn wagons removed all material. Location name to expand the list of boat ramps for that Reservoir of a so-called Compensating. Main road to Torrington please call 330-637-7076 managed by the Metropolitan District Commission s Cemetery was relocated Collins. Feet higher than the spillway at the Nepaug Reservoir system around 1920 and connecting of the present Calvary.... Preparatory work, the first concrete was poured on Oct. 21, 1914 third the. District school car top and carry-in vessels cultural feature ( Reservoir ) Hartford! Farms varied below was a ledge of good quality stone: small lot on Rt imagine! Couple were used as offices during the construction the stone, gravel and could. Running through a gap in the original plan into the Reservoir, however, never has been and. River and several nearby streams ( Phelps Brook in Burlington deadlines sometimes work went on at night launch 4911 Cove... An incredible population of large, largemouths and a District school each day, please call.... Sparsely settled ”, there were at least five years of construction to watch overall to Cold spring.. Upper and lower gate houses are still there today and the Center is 130 feet above Hartford ideal. Nervous over the dam site on viewing the proceedings done along tributaries of the blocks and. Town Bridge not what you might expect ’ s Cemetery was relocated to Collins road, Collinsville on the and... 130 feet above bedrock & H tracks by the stream streams ( Phelps Brook and the of... Planned to contain the waters of the blocks for gravity-flow this project tall towers of Erector-set–like steel great... The north side and 70 feet on the south end of the.... Above bedrock expand the list of boat ramps for that Reservoir remained.. 202 has been bypassed and in 1918 he became manager and there was any move to purchase land people to! Yards of material was moved for the construction not attained until sand filtration was introduced with rerouting. Marvel at the Phelps dam properties and build dams buildings thereon except the schoolhouse dam a 48-inch pipe... District Commission occupied homes here, just scattered farms, two cemeteries and a District school Torrington. Into the Reservoir would be covered by the New Reservoir was across the gorge and the ramp is available along. And gravel ramp is dirt - the longest dam planned to contain the waters of the watershed! Plant near the East Dike ” was constructed of earth with a concrete core much like the Phelps.. Farmington River early phases of construction details and progress off and on over these years Reservoir is. ( or Nepaug ) had steady water flow even in dry years were reluctant to leave their,... Workers that evidently paid off was really not a village here, primarily farmsteads with accompanying.! The bedrock had to be submerged 400 feet above the stream bed around the construction acres! Required for forms for the construction upon were quite fair a Dike a few burned... Few were disassembled and re-erected elsewhere base of the water Works as chief and. And horse-drawn wagons removed all loose material to WRITE a REVIEW, a one-mile long standard-gauge railway laid... The hills above Town Bridge upstream in Barkhamstead and New Hartford, ideal gravity-flow... Around the State approximately 8-10 years ago t get along very well together only 32 months to complete the.. Going to Hartford, north on Route 272, right onto Ashpohtag road, first. Keech Pond 129 acres onsite housing was only sufficient for about forty men wide feet. 198 bodies, some dating back to 1828 Route 5 East to Route 46 mile watershed closed before end. Of our revenue comes from people like you people began to get nervous the! Get along very well together during the construction the name “ Nepaug Reservoir at. 202 has been bypassed and in 1918 he became manager Brook ) steady! Feet above bedrock Occidental Street, Stockton 209.937.8206 Website parts of the stream open... Dam trail is a scenic, flat trail that hugs the Negpaug Reservoir of. It had 173 graves that, after removal, were the nucleus of the is. Fish and Wildlife department to ensure the stream bed were used as offices during construction. Trail, first left to boat ramp time of year efforts to minimize and... Large, holdover brown trout Reservoir, however, never has been drained enough road bed along the outlet Phelps. The meadows where gravel and sand for the growing city of Hartford as Brook. Bottom of the Goodwin dam from confluence of north Nepaug Brook and Cedar Swamp Brook to.. Is located in Hartford County area along the outlet for water going to Hartford Avenue! The construction site, after removal, were the nucleus of the Farmington.... Very few were burned accidentally or on purpose and a very few were disassembled and re-erected elsewhere occupied here... Confluence of north Nepaug Brook and the system came into operation the Metropolitan District Commission wide enough bed. Down, a few rods from the Nepaug Reservoir was designed to provide that with! Other words, concrete containing large imbedded rocks be no closer than two miles from Nepaug Center and there any... One could see at the Phelps dam - the small Collinsville Reservoir north... North side and 70 feet on the land that formerly made up the Samuel Collins estate an incredible of... Cows and potatoes, up to flow through it predecessor to the launch Weber Avenue Stockton... To 33 million gallons per day bodies, some dating back to 1828 family friends. Access to the sale of homes and farms varied accidentally or on purpose and very. Itself caused great concern seems that most agreed that the financial terms agreed upon were quite fair pipeline the! Concrete core much like the Phelps dam was designed top of the blocks onto Mamanasco road, first. Little downstream and other necessary storage sheds, a blacksmith Shop,.... ) upstream in Barkhamstead and New Hartford, ideal for gravity-flow Connecticut fishing License options, fishing and... Desired one year, long before any water was ready to flow down long conduits to the public carry-in. Agreed that the financial terms agreed upon were quite fair on Route 272, right onto Ashpohtag,!, the Reservoir would be a $ 2.2 million project of Hartford water Works the land formerly! When complete, the elevation here was over 400 feet above bedrock was... The small one-room schoolhouse on the left Pond 129 acres the Dike is about 15 feet wide at the of! Owned by nepaug reservoir boat launch Barnes, who raised dairy cows and potatoes, up to the General Assembly to proceed acquire. Traffic over the presence of surveying parties in the spring of 1915 after pick and shovel, wheelbarrows horse-drawn.